Thursday, October 23, 2014

How to overcome smartphone addiction.

I am addicted to smartphones. I am addicted to buying new phones. In the past year I have purchased 4 new smartphones.

The following are the list of phones that I purchased and used so far:
1. Blackberry 8520
2. Samsung Galaxy Note II
3. Sony Xperia Tipo
4. iPhone 4s
5. Sony Xperia C3

The phone which I am using currently is the Sony Xperia C3. I faced issues with the previous phones. The following list compiles the numerous issues from each phone:

  1.  Blackberry 8520

I purchased this phone back in the day when Android had not yet taken over the smartphone market. I used it till it tore down to its final pieces. One major disadvantage of this phone was that I could not use the apps over wifi. I had to recharge the Blackberry Internet Service to activate EDGE plan. Normal 2g or 3g data plans did not work. Also one major setback of this phone was that it look a long time to boot. It took around 10-15 minutes to boot and start up the phone.

     2.   Samsung Galaxy Note II

This phone was purchased from Thailand by a friend of mine. Because of which, the phone could not be unlocked to be used in Indian network. I have tried and taken it to many service centers. But they could not crack the code. I still continued using this phone for apps over wifi. The snag with this phone led me to the purchase of my next smartphone.

    3.   Sony Xperia Tipo

After Note II this phone felt like a miniature phone at my palms. Although this phone is not as assorted as the Note II, it served its purpose of making and taking calls. One glitch was that, during calls you could access the call screen. This meant that I could not end calls from my end. I had to wait for the other person to hang up. There was no secondary front camera. The touch sensitivity was not impressive. But I got it nontheless because it was within my budget at that time. I moved on to the next phone after the screen of this phone fell out.

    4.   iPhone 4s

Although iPhone 5, 5s and 5c had already been launched in India, I got this phone. Because it was within the price range that I was looking for. Also in terms of hardware, it was not very different from its successors. I made good use of this phone. The UI is very streamlined. It played high graphic games in it with minimal or no lag at all. The primary 8 megapixel camera was of superior quality. But I had puchased the 8gb variant of 4s. And this was not enough for me to store my data. So I moved on to the next mobile, Sony Xperia C3.

  5.   Sony Xperia C3

This I can easily say, is my best buy. I am quite content with the specifications of this phone. After iOS, I wanted to use Android again for its customizable features. With this phone, I can download and use various apps. I can extend the memory upto 32gb. The best part is the 5 megapixel front camera which comes with an LED flash. The primary camera quality is not very impressive though.

Smartphone addiction, in my opinion stems from the various apps that you can download and use. Social apps, photo apps, messaging apps are a few examples. We are constantly checking our phone for any notifications and updates. We have glued our eyes to the 5.5 inch smartphone screens and we fail to look at the real world pixels which are right in front of us. Some of us cannot do without Whatsapp, Facebook or Twitter, that even during meetings, dinner or lunch we are always staring at the screen. Social life now means ignoring the people sitting next to you and choosing to connect with people online.

It is best that we get rid of this addiction. This is for the benefit of ourselves and most importantly for the mental health and patience of the person sitting next to you.

The following simple steps will help you put down the smartphones that is in your hands and pick up the conversation with the company you are with:

1. Turn off notifications.
When you are with a group of people, the constant buzz and vibration of the phone causes great distraction.

2. Delete apps.
The more apps you download and install on your phone, the more you get disconnected from everybody else.

3. Turn off mobile data or wifi.
Whenever you are in a meeting or with the company of others, turn off mobile data or wifi. This will disable app notifications to reach you. These notifications feed your addiction.

4. Keep your phone in the other room.
If you know you will be constantly picking up the phone even if you do nothing at all, its best you leave the phone in another room. And try your best to restrict yourself from fetching it. It's all about will power.

5. Stop playing games.
Games are as addictive as social apps. You waste a lot of time playing games on your smartphone. Time is money, when you waste time playing games, you are wasting money.

6.    Throw away your phone. 
If you have reached the terminal stage of this addiction, its best you throw away the life leeching smartphone. You can go back to the basics and use payphones.


This article was written all in a day's humour and is not directed to anyone personally.

No comments:

Post a Comment